Use the following tools to search for available grant opportunities through the government and other external agencies.
- Federal resources and search engines
- Corporate and foundation support
- Limited submission competitions
We offer support for faculty-led research projects through four internal grant programs:
- Faculty research grants (FRG) provide funding of up to $6,000 for conduct, completion and expansion of research projects. Priority is given to projects most likely to give rise to new opportunities for the faculty members involved, whether by seeding new projects or by expanding the scope, impact or visibility of existing projects. FRG applications are accepted and awards made each Fall and Spring semester.
- Faculty innovation grants (FIG) provide up to $25,000 to support conduct of research, with the goal of launching new research projects that can continue well beyond the period of the FIG grant, taking existing research in promising new directions, or otherwise expanding sustainable research programs beyond their current scope. FIG applications are accepted and awards made each Spring.
- Collaborative Research Opportunity (CORE) Grants provide up to $60,000 for conduct of research with the goal of establishing and growing productive and competitive multi-faculty research programs. The program supports faculty teams that, through their combinations of perspectives and capabilities, can distinguish themselves in the academic community, with partners and constituents in society, and with funding sources, for the novelty, relevance and value of their work. CORE applications are accepted and awards made each Spring.
- Accelerator Grants support teams of Lehigh investigators in developing multi-investigator research programs in particularly promising areas. Based on a team’s identification of a major, specific area of opportunity and ways in which it can excel in that area, these grants provide significant flexibility in use of the grant funds. These grants should enable an already strong group to grow a funded program more rapidly than would have been likely otherwise. Accelarator applications are accepted and awards made each Fall.
- Instrumentation Funding Opportunities - NSF MRI and Lehigh CREF - Two opportunities for acquisition of research instrumentation, the NSF Major Research Instrumentation (MRI) program and a Lehigh Critical Research Equipment Fund (CREF) are managed by OVPRGS. One is a limited-submission NSF grant and the other is an internal opportunity to acquire research equipment necessary to the research activity of our investigators.
- Cluster hiring and development
Cluster development and hiring is aimed at assembling faculty around an interdisciplinary theme, area of interest or problem, and should result in providing the critical mass necessary to affect important new areas of scholarship, teaching, and research. For more information, visit the Cluster Initiative website.
- Other Lehigh-awarded funds Other funding opportunities exist within Lehigh, and are administered by some individual departments and programs.