Under the Animal Welfare Act, the IACUC may now issue approvals for a three year period. Prior to Dec. 27th, 2021, the IACUC approved protocols for one year, with annual renewals required to maintain IACUC approval. All protocols with a current approval date prior to 12/27/2021 will need to submit a final annual renewal to transition to the new three-year approval window.
Once a protocol has been transitioned to a three-year approval period, annual renewals will no longer be required. PIs are still responsible for submitting and receiving approval for modifications to protocols during this approval period. At the end of the three-year approval period, PIs must submit a 4th year de novo application to maintain IACUC approval for another three year period.
Submitting an Annual Renewal via IRBNet:
- Log in to irbnet.org.
- Locate the project for which you wish to submit an annual renewal. All previous IRBNet IACUC submissions can be viewed under "My Projects". Click the project title to enter the project. If you know the IRBNet ID for the project, you may also search using this ID number.
- Annual renewals are submitted by creating a new "package" within the existing IRBNet project. To create the renewal package, click "Create a New Package".
- Click "Designer" to access the "Renewals / Modifications" application form. Click "Download" to save the application to your local computer. (Note: the application can also be found under the "Forms and Templates" menu option within IRBNet.)
- You will be given the option to select either "Protocol Annual Renewal" (when research is continuing as defined in the approved protocol, or "Protocol Annual Review with Modifications" (if there are changes that will be implemented as part of the annual renewal). Once you have completed the application form in full, click "Attach New Document" to upload the completed application form as part of your submission package. Repeat to add any necessary supplemental documents, as applicable.
- Click "Sign this Package" to indicate that all necessary application materials have been uploaded to the IRBNet package. You will be asked to indicate your role at this time. Additionally, your department chair must also log in to IRBNet and sign the submission package.
- Once the Principal Investigator and your department chair have each signed the package in IRBNet, click "Submit this Package". Be sure to select "Lehigh University IACUC" as the reviewing board. Select "Continuing Review / Progress Report" as the submission type. Once the package has been submitted, the Research Integrity office will conduct a pre-review of your submission materials and notify you if any changes or additional information is necessary prior to IACUC review.