All projects requiring continuing review are issued an expiration date at the time of approval. In order to maintain IRB approval for these projects, researchers are required to submit a Continuing Review via IRBNet prior to the project expiration date; plan to submit your renewal request at least 4 weeks in advance of the expiration date.
Renewing an Expiring Protocol via IRBNet:
- Log in to irbnet.org.
- Locate the project you wish to renew in IRBNet. All previous IRBNet submissions can be viewed under "My Projects". Click the project title to enter the project. If you know the IRBNet ID for the project, you may also search using this ID number.
- Renewals are submitted by creating a Continuing Review "package" within the existing IRBNet project. To create the continuing review package, click "Create a New Package". Select "Continuing Review / Progress Report" as the submission type.
- Click "Designer" to access the Continuing Review form. Click "Download" to save this form to your local computer. (Note: the continuing review form and other supplemental materials can also be found under the "Forms and Templates" menu option.)
- Once you have completed the continuing review form in full, click "Attach New Document" to upload the completed form as part of your submission package.
- If the renewal involves the addition of any new faculty / student collaborators, click "Share this Project" to provide signature access to the renewal package to the new collaborators.
- Click "Sign this Package" to indicate that all necessary application materials have been uploaded to the IRBNet package. You will be asked to indicate your role at this time. Only faculty eligible to serve as Principal Investigator should select the "Principal Investigator" role. All students and other personnel should choose a different role from the list. All personnel with whom you have shared the package must also log in to IRBNet and sign the renewal package.
- Once ALL research team members have individually signed the package in IRBNet, click "Submit this Package". Be sure to select "Lehigh University IRB" as the reviewing board. Once the package has been submitted, the Research Integrity office will conduct a pre-review of your renewal materials and notify you if any changes or additional information is necessary prior to IRB review.
Tutorial: Submitting Subsequent Packages and other Advanced Topics - update and revise project documents for resubmission; submit subsequent packages such as responses, amendment, or continuing reviews; review and manage messages, alerts, and reminders.
Tutorial: Additional Information on Submitting Subsequent Packages