Export Control: Frequently Asked Questions

You are here


What is an "ECCN?"

ECCN, or Export Control Classification Number, refers to the five character alpha-numeric designation used on the Commerce Control List (CCL) to identify dual-use items for export control purposes. An ECCN categorizes items based on the nature of the product, i.e. type of commodity, software, or technology and its respective technical parameters.

ECCNs are different from Harmonized Tariff System Codes or Schedule B numbers, which are used globally to identify products, and do not specify export controls on a given item.

How do I find the ECCN for a given item?

There are a number of ways to obtain the correct ECCN for a given item / commodity / software / technology.

The first is to contact the manufacurer or vendor of the item; be prepared to provide specific details of the item, such as the make, model, serial number, etc., as different types of the same category of item may have different ECCNs depending on the specific technical details, capabilities and underlying components.

ECCNs can also be obtained through searching the Commerce Control List (CCL), using details about the item and its components. In order to conduct an exhaustive search of the CCL, you'll need to search several different terms related to the item, as a basic search may not reveal all aspects of an item controlled by the CCL.

The Commerce Control List Index is a good starting place to help narrow down where items of a given type / category may appear in the broader CCL; however you'll need to also search the CCL for additional information to help determine whether a given ECCN is relevant to the specifc item being searched.

What if an item does not appear in the CCL / does not have an ECCN?

Items that are not listed on the CCL are given the designation of EAR99. EAR99 items generally consist of low-technology consumer goods and do not require a export license in many (though not all) situations.

If you plan to export an EAR99 item to an individual or entity from a sanctioned / embargoed country, to an end-user of concern, or in support of a prohibited end-use, an export license may be required. Please contact Lehigh's Export Control Officer for consultation on the need for an export license.